Westport, Connecticut — Green Home For Sale
Award winning home in immaculate condition, featuring 'Green' construction and spectacular gardens. Walk to beach and train. 2006 reclaimed barn addition providing breathtaking space. Solar & geothermal systems. Room for a pool and a tennis court
Listing ID: 19324
- Green Home
- Solar - Photovoltaic
|Asking Price (USD)||$1,648,000|
|Annual Property Tax||$21,174|
|Annual Utility Cost||$0|
|Home Area||4,862 sq ft|
|Total Property Area||2.2 acres|
• The original Home has lots of New England charm, two working fireplaces, living room, dining room, kitchen, five bedrooms and four and a half baths.
• In 1997 the family room, library, and Eat in kitchen area were added, with an open floor plan, lots of natural light, and two stone fireplaces. one in the kitchen area designed for wood grilling. The rooms open to a large blue stone patio, and beautifully landscaped back yard.
• In 2006 a completely restored 200 year old Vermont Barn was added to the property, rebuilt to retain all the charm of the Barn, but with State of the Art 'Green ' building techniques and systems. It has a loft area, full bathroom with steam shower, and full heated and air conditioned basement area currently used as an exercise room.
• The Home and Barn addition won the Westport Historic Preservation award for 2010 for demonstrating how preservation and green technology successfully co-exist.
• The lawn and gardens have been maintained organically whenever possible.
• The gardens have evolved over the 33 years the family has owned the property
• Flowering shrubs and trees have slowly replaced perennials to reduce maintenance.
• There are many specimen trees and shrubs planted throughout the property.
• Landscape Lighting designed and installed by Jan Moyer, one of the nation's premier Lighting Artists was added in 2003.
• The Homeowner designed the gardens and is a Master Gardener. For 15 years Pamela was the editor and publisher of Connecticut Gardener. Her expertise is embodied in the sanctuary of the garden. The beauty of the Summer, Winter, fall and spring gardens is a legacy for the new owners to enjoy.
• The landscaper who has assisted the homeowner in maintaining the gardens, can continue to do so if the new owners wish.
THE USES OF THE BARN ARE EVOLVING -
The natural beauty and open space is lending itself to the basic functions it was designed for, and much more. Hosting weekly yoga sessions, fund raising dinners, salons, discussion groups, holiday, cocktail and dinner parties, plus a glorious wedding reception for 125.
The Barn has also welcomed a steady stream of students, homeowners, architects and builders who are interested in sustainable and earth friendly building.
What makes your home a Green or Healthy Home?
The Home has two GeoThermal units one that serves the main level of the home and the other the Barn. The Solar panels provide electricity to the home, supplemented by the grid.
The Barn was restored using reclaimed reclaimed/recycled building materials and sustainable energy practices.
• The Post & Beams are all the original hemlock and oak; all joints are pegged; no nails were used in the construction of the Barn frame
• The Barn siding was reclaimed from 200 year old dairy barns in Pennsylvania.
• The inside walls and ceiling are 100% reclaimed butternut (aka White Walnut) The wood was salvaged from forests in upstate Vermont.
• The flooring is wide plank salvaged black walnut from Northeastern Connecticut
• The bathroom and steam room flooring is 100% natural river stone.
• Counters and sink are made of polished concrete.
SUSTAINABLE ENERGY• Heating and cooling is provided through a Geothermal system
• Heating is also provided through passive Solar Window Placement on the South and West sides of the structure
• Electricity is provided through a 5.2 KW Solar Photovoltaic system.
• insulation is provided using SIPS Structural Insulated Paneling. The rigid foam is composed of 100% recyclable material and is rated R40.
• Windows and doors are Marvin 3/4 Lo-E 11 Argon insulated glass.
• Energy Recovery Ventilator. Brings Fresh Air in from outside but captures the heat of the air going out.
• A six minute walk to the Greens Farms Train Station
• Short walk to the beach
• Located in the Greens Farms Section of Westport, convenient to all amenities.
• Turkey Hill Road South is considered to be one of the finest addresses in Westport.
Westport is a charming town situated on the Long Island Sound, approximately 50 miles from New York City. Excellent recreational facilities include the beaches, golf course, tennis courts, YMCA and other sports centers, two marinas for recreational boats, sports fields and so much more. Excellent restaurants and shopping. The restored Westport Country Theater provides shows & entertainment throughout the year. Westport has so much to offer, combined with easy access to all the region has to offer by train, or car.
Home Type or Land
Single Family - Two Story
Location of Home or Land
Elevation of Home
|Agriculture in Area||No|
|Industry in Area||No|
|Air Pollution in Area||No|
|Cleaned with Green Products||Yes|
Solar - Passive
|Whole House Filtration||
|Whole House Vacuum||No|
Energy & Water
Solar - Photovoltaic
Wood Framing: 2x4, 2x6, etc.
Wood Timber Frame
Shingles - Wood
Gypsum Board - Sheet Rock
Wood - Solid
Wood - Solid
Asphalt Composition Shingle
Wood Dual Glazed
Wood Single Glazed
Garage / Car Port
|Garage / Carport||Yes|
|Number of Cars||4|
|Garage Area||0 sqft|