WARD, Colorado — Green Home For Sale
Elegant and sustainable earth bermed Santa Fe style home nestled in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. Backs to national forest with aspen meadows and trout fishing in the Jamestown creek! This amazing off grid home is only 45 min to Boulder CO.
Listing ID: 19732
- Energy Efficient Home
- Rammed Earth
- Off the Grid
- Solar - Photovoltaic
|Asking Price (USD)||$475,000|
|Annual Property Tax||$948|
|Annual Utility Cost||$950|
|Home Area||1,840 sq ft|
|Total Property Area||5 acres|
Elegant, Efficient, Sustainable Earth Bermed Dwelling, American Clay Mudded Over Concrete, Santa Fe style, Home for Sale
nestled high in a valley in the Rocky Mountains, yet 45 minutes from Boulder
Unique, one of a kind, handcrafted concrete earth berm home on 4.95 acres of land, 5 miles outside of Ward, CO., 45 minutes from Boulder, 30 minutes from Nederland, 25 minutes to Lyons:
• Abuts aspen meadow on Roosevelt National Forest Land
• Expansive privacy, many native healing plants and wildflowers growing, cedar, ponderosa, aspen, scotch and lodgepole pine forests, lots of wildlife, natural rock outcroppings.
• Small stream flows through property, and James Creek waterway is 400 yards from property
• Private hiking and horse trails nearby, hunting and fishing
• Low light pollution: you can see the star constellations at night!.
• Many built-in features in home- with two unique Mexican Hacienda doors, Mexican bar, Mexican vanity, earthen clay bench, Santa Fe style fireplace, gas cooking stove, wood stove, spiral staircase (non-conforming), rugged hand hewn wooden beams from the property, 20’ indoor planter, Mexican marble sink, stained glass windows, balcony on second floor, earthen plaster walls, unique lighting with stained glass, small chandelier, child’s bunk bed, satellite TV & internet.
The greenhouse is called a Growing Dome from Growing Spaces (www.growingspaces.com). Essentially the growing dome is a solar-heated greenhouse designed for year-round growing, which contains large amounts of thermal mass- including two water tanks, soil mass, and cement bricks beds. Can grow food for 5-6 people. The grow dome is 22', with rodent barriers to prevent entry of rodents, our beds are 2' high with pathways so that plants are easily accessible, black gold (dirt!) from our own property which has accumulated over the years as we are at the bottom of a basin of rich, black topsoil. In the greenhouse we also have undersoil ducts through which hot or cool air is blown from a solar panel and fan, vents (opening windows) complete with automatic openers, and an insulated entry door and door framing.
What makes your home a Green or Healthy Home?
.All new passive solar, solar thermal, with active radiant floor heating, plenty of thermal mass, 20 (9’) south facing windows, 2 Outback power conversion inverters, 24 water-filled, heavy duty solar batteries to store power, (48 amp system that translates into 120, therefore all appliances are 120 plugs), 12 Sun Tech STP 170-AB solar panels, 4 solar thermal panels, lightening storm protection features, rain gutters,
• Artesian well—450’ deep for fresh clean drinking water,
• 3,000 gallon drinking, bathing water cistern.
• (3) 1000 gallon LPG tanks, Kohler generator- hard wired backup energy system.
• Independent 3,000 gallon fire protection water cistern.
• 22’ Diameter Dome Greenhouse, 14 feet high with raised beds and water tank, water collection from roof fills water tank, rich, black soil from property. 2 fruit trees, cold frames.
• Wood stove fired, outdoor steam sweat lodge with cedar bench
• 5 outbuildings for storage, tools, animals, hay, feed, etc.—perfect for horses, goats, llamas, chickens, dogs with large fenced-in area, outdoor water field pump for animals.
• Another outbuilding solely for food storage with shelves and 2 propane powered freezers
• Separate Accommodations with solar electric and knotty pine bedroom and deck for Ranch Hand
• Pole Barn with cut, split, and stacked local wood
.The colorful Rocky Mountains near this home have many special features during any season:
In the summertime, the 4th of July is marked with a town parade and bluegrass festival in the nearby mountain community of Gold Hill. Celebratory singing and dancing are the order of the day. The town of Gold Hill still looks the way it did in the 1800’s when prospecting for gold was all the rage. The Gold Hill Inn provides a quaint setting for fine dining and a murder mystery theater series.
This earthship style home is a living, breathing organism. A planter in the center of the home creates some of the moisture and oxygen necessary to keep this home functioning properly. Because we are completely off the grid, we use the power of the sun for heat and electricity. Our home is built into the side of a south facing hill; we use the earth’s mass along with a concrete floor to provide thermal mass for heat. Eighteen, nine foot windows on the south face let the sun in. Radiant Heat.
Boulder Valley School District highly values its community collaborations with partners including Impact on Education, I Have a Dream Foundation, and Workforce of Boulder. Some of the most sought-after academic programs are found in BVSD, including Talented and Gifted, Computer Literacy, Bilingual Education, English as a Second. Nederland Elementary, Middle and High Schools in Nederland, CO. are out local schools. Nederland school bus picks your child up at blacktop, 3 miles from this property.
Fantastic Morrocco’s Restaurant in Ward for fine dining, Eldora Ski Resort is 27 miles south from property, Rocky Mountain National Park is 27 miles north from property, Nederland 14 miles away. Gold Hill Elementary School is 11 miles away (a very quaint, one room schoolhouse where the older children help to inspire/teach the younger children), however the school district is Nederland Elementary, Middle and High Schools in Nederland, CO. Nederland school bus picks your child up at blacktop,
Home Type or Land
Single Family - Single Level
Location of Home or Land
Elevation of Home
|Agriculture in Area||Yes|
|Industry in Area||No|
|Air Pollution in Area||No|
|Cleaned with Green Products||Yes|
Hydronic Floor Heat (radiant)
Part of Cooling System
|Whole House Filtration||
|Whole House Vacuum||No|
Energy & Water
Off the Grid
Solar - Photovoltaic
Rain Water Collection
Wood Framing: 2x4, 2x6, etc.
Plaster - Earth
Gypsum Board - Sheet Rock
Metal Dual Glazed
Garage / Car Port
|Garage / Carport||No|