29718 County Road 16.0 Trinidad, Colorado 81082
Combining southwestern charm with a unique earth-friendly design, this 4,700 sq. ft. straw-bale home is nestled on 35 acres above a evergreen canyon west of Trinidad Colorado.
|Asking Price (USD)
|| $ 485,000.00
|Annual Property Tax
|| $ 526.00
|Annual Utility Cost
|| $ 2,900.00
|Total Lot Size
Combining southwestern luxury and charm with a unique earth-friendly design, this 4,788 + sq. ft. straw-bale home is nestled on 35 acres above a evergreen canyon west of Trinidad Colorado.
This custom Rocky Mountain homestead is situated in the foothills of the Sangre de Cristo mountains at 6,400 feet elevation. About 320 days a year the sun warms this neo-southwestern home with it’s 2-foot thick, R-55, straw-bale walls with tan stucco outside and European-style hand troweled plaster in. The energy-efficient passive solar design is supplemented by a totally quiet and efficient in-floor radiant heating system covered by Italian, terracotta ceramic tile and a massive eco-friendly kiva-style fireplace that can crank out over 76,000 BTU’s.
The spacious design boasts vaulted 16 foot ceilings and two enclosed gardens. The floor plan is accented by round corners, sweeping curved walls and plenty of double-insulated casement windows which reveal a landscape that is home to native elk, deer, wild turkey, coyotes, jack rabbits, cottontails and too many birds to name.
The entire 11-room home is handcrafted, with one-of-a-kind solid maple, mission-style doors with rain-glass lights, solid cherry kitchen cabinets and hand carved garden gates. The over 3,800+ feet of heated living space includes a:
• Inviting 38’ x 20’ Living room – perfect for entertaining
• Dining room with valley views
• Expansive master bedroom suite
• Large guest room suite
• Enclosed guest room garden with separate entrance
• 3 Full bathrooms – 2 with shower-bath combinations, one with shower only
• Modern kitchen complete with new Bosch stainless steel appliances
• Office with garden view
• Media center area with large closet
• Private 2nd floor loft bedroom with balcony that overlooks the living room
• Oversized 2-car garage with space for small workshop
• 22’ x 15’ bonus room over garage – a spare bedroom, studio, or exercise room
• Large soundproof pantry with refrigerator and laundry room
• Enclosed “welcome garden”-- seen as you enter the front door
• Maintenance-free deck that curves along the eastern side of the home
• Jacuzzi hot tub just off the deck with a gorgeous valley view
• Massive high-efficiency kiva-style fireplace that delivers 76,000 BTU’s
• Ingenious underground, rain-water catchment system for home and garden
• Xeriscaped gardens among hand-stacked rock walls and beds that surround the home
• Well house and water well (ready for an RO system if desired]
• Large parking area with stone and gravel pathway to the barrel-ceiling entryway
This quiet and protected 35-acre property is completely fenced and has approximately 5 acres of pasture-land, 15 acres of ponderosa pine forest, and 15 acres of piñon, cedar and oak brush. The parcel is part of a small enclave called River Ranch Longs Canyon that has about 30 home sites and easy going covenants designed to protect property value of the fine homes nearby yet allow complete freedom of design.
This Longs Canyon home is 13 miles west of Trinidad Colorado – which lays at the intersection of I-25 and Colorado Highway 12, about 14 miles north of the New Mexico border. You live embedded in green canyons with accessibility to great arts and culture.
This home is 2 hours form Taos, 3 hours from Santa Fe, 1 hour to Cuchara and LaVeta, 1 hour to Pueblo, 2 hours to Colorado Springs, 3 to Denver. But you don’t have to travel for arts and culture. Historic Trinidad is a turn of the century small town arts and community -- see trinidadco.com.
The weather is ideal -- temperate – not too hot or cold. You get all four seasons with mild winters and modest snow. Best of all – an average of 320 days a year of sunshine. Located in southern Colorado, the terrain is a more like northern New Mexico than northern Colorado.
This special home is currently a year around residence, but would also be idea for a vacation get-away, a bed & breakfast or even a shared two-family home.
What makes your home a Green or Healthy Home?
• Straw-bale construction – R-60 walls
• Natural, breathable plasters
• High output fireplace w/catalytic converter
• In-floor radiant (hydronic) heating
• 96% efficient, computer controlled boiler
• Passive solar design
• Natural, non-toxic materials throughout
• Energy efficient appliances
• Rain-water catchment system with 2,400 gal. storage
• Whole house filtration system
• Rigid foam foundation and slab insultation
• Xeriscape gardens and landscaping
• Drip-irrigation system for gardens and beds
A small enclave of 30 home sites --each 35 to 80 acres each about 13 miles to the historic town of Trinidad, Colorado. All high quality, homes protected by basic covenants designed to ensure that custom home values are protected.
13 miles west of Trinidad Colorado
90 miles south of Pueblo Colorado
115 miles from Colorado Springs
185 miles south of Denver
125 miles west of Taos New Mexico
180 miles north of Santa Fe New Mexico
Trinidad and Primero
River Ranch Longs Canyon -- a private development with covenants that allow freedom to build while protecting property values.
Home Type or Land
Single Family - Single Level
Location of Home or Land
Elevation of Home